Thursday, June 04, 2009

HBO and there No. 1 Ladies'

OK. It is a known fact that HBO puts out quality programming. But I have to tip my hat to them with the series "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency". This one of the few examples that I can think of that a western media(movie/television) outlet is telling a story in Africa about Africans with the lack of traditional western African stereotypes. The western media did have a long history of using Africa as an exotic location to tell stories of western people. This series is another example of this mode of thinking dying.

Besides the show, the stories, the acting, and the production being first rate. I like that it will give people a sense of modern day African life. When I was young and when I would tell my schoolmates that I was African. I remember some of them would as me... so how did you get here. Me being only in grade school, I would say that my father paddled us here across the Atlantic Ocean and had to fight off sharks. I would say my father is very strong. Many of them would believe me. For them, the idea that I come in a plane was unfathomable until I put the thought in there mind.

I dont think young American childern have that old silly thought on Africa in there head an more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home