Friday, January 19, 2007

Eavesdropping about Mr. Obama



A couple of Wednesday nights ago, I was stood-up by most of my friends. So,I was waiting for one of my friends that I knew that was coming late. As I waited, I sat in the middle of two tables. The first table was a pair of early thirties white men and the other table was a couple of late twenties white women. What I overheard was interesting conversations or at least to me.









I was eavesdropping on the two men talking about Obama. They were talking about this possible (likely) candidacy. Me being an African-American I often feel like that I do not gt a genuine response from my Caucasian friends. It's not that I don't believe what they are saying in regards to race. It is that I believe my presence influences what they say and how they say it. That is why this eavesdropping was interesting to me. Two white men talking about race were my presence was not factor.

These men talked about how he was half white and that my save him from the racist. They continued to talk about the hope that he represents for the country. They were in love with the idea of Mr. Obama as Mr. President.

For me, this mostly shows something about my believes. I was shocked to hear this talk from them the people that I heard it from. Because I believe that America is not ready for an African-American president. But I would be happy to be wrong about that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do believe you're wrong about that. As one of your c. friends, I hope I don't change what I say because you're around! You can always rely on me for a candid opinion, and if you question that....please tell me! We all need a mirror held by our friends.

In the Democratic race right now we've got:
-a Black man w/mixed parents, represents Hope with a capital H
-a white woman, former first lady, pisses lots of people off, voted for the war
-a Hispanic man, governor, tall, heavy-set
-a white man, Washington insider, years of experience in nat'l politics
-a white man, former VP candidate w/a baby face, NOLA champion

Who do you think America is ready for?

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home