Thursday, November 03, 2005

Je ne parle pas anglais

I just got my Chilean sandwich. Which I think that is the best sandwich in Boston. So, I find a table by myself. At the table in front of me I see two men getting up to leave. When I passed them I overheard them. One of the guys was preaching to other guy. He was talking about the glory of God and the good of the church. I thought nothing of it at the moment I passed them.

But then I see the man that was preaching to the other man coming towards me. It was at this moment, I understood what this guys was doing. He asked if he could join me. I saw that I was in trouble. This man,this street preacher, was going to disturb the serenity of my lunch hour.

I say....
Je ne comprend pas... (In my best Haitian accent)
Do you speak English?
Ah... No English. Ah...Berry small english.
Are you Christian?
(I just smiled big... showed all my teeth)
Church....
Ah...Yes...Church...Somerville....

We continue for this about 2 minutes. I think he got the point that, I was not able to talk to him or did not want to talk to him. But I feel a little dirty about faking that I do not speak English. Praying that I passed for a Haitian, that was FOB. All that he was trying to do is spread the good news. I'm a bad Christian....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home