Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Worthy of Awe


It was a funny moment. It was cute and innocent. I was in the one of the halls in my office, a woman with two children was coming down the hall. I decided to wait for them to pass. One of the children, the older one, a 3 year old girl was chirping away, but then she sees me and stops all of a sudden. She starts staring at me with astonishment and maybe a little perplexed. Her mother call out to the child, " Come on Sarah, let's go... Come on." Sarah continues but she is still fixated on me.

I do not know why exactly, this little girl was staring at me. But I can only field a guess. My guess is that this was the first time this little girl saw a large-ish black male. But it was cute, she seemed in awe. I guess that I'm simply an amazing fellow to look at.

But this also reminds me of a story that my grandmother told me years ago. She traveled to London via a ship line. This was the popular way to travel at that time. When she was in the port she talked about a little English boy, maybe 4 years of age, that noticed her. She saw this little boy clasp tighter to his mother that was carrying him. As this little boy was pointing to my grandmother, she heard him say to his mother, "Mommy, Mommy, what is wrong with that lady." The little boy just saw his first African and he did not know what to make of it.

So, I guess, me and my grandmother an just stunners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home