Tuesday, January 03, 2006

They speak English in Jamaica???

Three of us are in the car, me, my house mate and my house mate's girl. We are talking about the gossip that is around in our circle of friends. We talking about how a recently married couple has just returned from Hawaii from their honeymoon. Talking about the general pleasance of Hawaii and other popular honeymoon destinations.

House mate: People love Jamaica. I think that it is the number one honeymoon destination.
Me: I can see that.
House mate: But I think that I would prefer Hawaii tho...
House mate's girl: Me too. And they speak English in Hawaii.

My house mate and I look at each other for a moment.

HM: ... True... they do speak English in Hawaii.
Me: Oh...What language is spoken in Jamaica?
HMG: French!!! ...
Me: Are you sure?...
HMG: French??? ... Right?
Me: No... Yeah, it is true that people have a hard time understanding the dilate in Jamaica but it is English.
HMG: Oh... (looking a little embarrassed) Ah.... I guess I was asleep then they taught that in social studies....

I thought it was a basic fact that Jamaica is an English speaking country. But I guess I was wrong on that. My house mate girlfriend typically give one a pearl like the one above, maybe once a week and it is always good for a giggle. To be honest, I seem to enjoy them because it is proof that I'm not the only one that should consider talking less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home