Thursday, August 03, 2006

@ Bob's

Last night, I was at Bob’s Southern Bistro (formerly named bob the chefs). I was at open mic night. It has been a long time since I been. It is not one the strongest open mic nights that I have been too. But is ok... It was good enough to get the creative spirits to move within me. I was thinking... No... Check that, I was worried that the older I get, the less creative I become. Thinking that you are dry is not an exciting place to be...

There was a young girl, there last night. She was about 17 or 18 years old. When she stepped up the mic... It gave the room pause, the young girl has presence. But she did this piece entitled “I am”. It was good, people were feeling it. It was reminding me of the searching for self that we crave at certain points in our life.


So I guess that.. my napkin piece is a personal response to this young lady. That is below.

 Untitled – (@ Bob’s Bistro’s Open Mic night)

Every Negro Tendency

I have fallen off me ... With some of the ills that “frame” a brother
--tardiness
-- no love for weed
-- the accent

Soulless brother in the soulless world
To the point that...
A friend dated to call me pale ..
When is plain to see that the Negro is me ...
I’m from the place that when I’m in grade school
People picked on me...

Singing:
“ Booty Scratcher... African Booty Scatcher.... Booty Scratcher ... Africa”

It’s the place where my first breath was on this earth... on the CON-TE-NET of Africa.
But my contents is not ..FULL...
For my accent
Is
Lacking Urban sassiest
Urban fav-or

But I stand for all to see
A Black man
with the sense of purpose
with the sense of righteous
with a sense of our forefathers
A Man.. much more... that is no longer standing for less

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not dry.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home