Monday, May 15, 2006

King Kong, that N*gga

I saw King Kong a couple of days ago; it was the Peter King version. I know that I mostly missed the debate and discussion about what King Kong say/said about our society and culture. But seeing it recently have put some of the issue to the forefront of my mind. I know that people were talking about this 6 months ago, but … I still think that it is interesting. I did not see it in the theatres because of the racial overtones that are implied.


Some of the some tones were there as they were in the 1930’s. The question that I can’t over look is; how much America has change from the negative stereotypes of the 30’s. My guess is little, but I’m just talking. Black men as apes is an old stereotype. It is well documented that black men are seen has over-sexed, hyper-sexual, violent and other non-flattening ideas. Time has not helped this stereotype much. I do not know if it is currently has bad as it was in the 30s.

I’m looking at the original film; I’m thinking that it served as a warning. See…that is what happens when you mess about with a white woman. It does not end well. The new version has the same warning. “Law and order” is what put a bullet in the heart of Kong. As the movie states it was beauty that killed the “mighty beast,” I think that one was meant to read…”See… loving a white woman was the end of you.” But what is different in King’s version is that Ms. Darrow (the lead female character) loves Kong back. She loves him for protecting her, in the dangerous world that they are in. But their relationship although it had its tender moments, it was destined to end and end poorly.

I don’t think that America have moved away from the stereotype of black men as a type of physical being, an ape of sorts. One of the perks of being hyper-masculine, the ideas about black males has not changed in 70 years. Black males’ being viewed as sub-human is not a new prism for the American society.

I think that these ideas are echoed in our society. I have heard it from the media. I have heard it from my father. In the media, we have seen black male punished more harshly for events dealing with white woman. One of the harshest ones is Emit Till. My father warned me in my high schools days that, if a white woman accuses me of anything “improper,” my goose could be cooked. Be mind full, he would say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home