Monday, May 22, 2006

Mother said it... in passing

I was chatting with my mother a day or two ago. She made comment that upon reflection, I do not know what to make of it.

I told her a story about how I taught one of my friends a Nigerian pigeon phrase. ( pigeon is a type of "broken" English. It is generally a mix of English and several native languages) Na ye ye... is the phrase that I taught him. It means crazy, silly, kind of stupid. One would say.... my girlfriend is na ye ye... My brother is na ye ye.... Swimming Walden pond the second weekend in December is ... na ye ye. A common phrase that some people say is ... O Ebo na ye ye. O Ebo... the polite meaning is foreigner. So the meaning is, foreigners are crazy. The impolite meaning is, white people are crazy. My mother frowns on the term because some could say that it is racist. She is not wrong. But I think that the term was born out of, foreigners not knowing the culture and they, Nigerians, would say that they were ... na ye ye.

But what shocked me is... my mother said that I should be be careful, because I'm mostly likely going to marry an O Ebo girl....

I did not catch it in the moment... but I think that my mother said that I'm that type of black man that will only consider marrying a white woman....

Hmm.... I do not know how I feel about that....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the leopard cannot change his spots.

1:19 AM  
Blogger djspeak said...

Lucky for me, I do not have much in common with a leopard....

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home