Saturday, July 20, 2013

President Obama and Trayvon Martin

First off, this Trayvon Martin verdict, trial and killing is not sitting with me very well. I know that I'm not alone with this. All the news, TV, and radio that I have been hearing supports that.  To generalize,it has mostly be minorities that have responded to verdict. Most of my whites friends it seems to be a non event. There are exceptions, I had a friend on the day after comment, "how can we be having such a wonderful Sunday the day after a terrible verdict".

But this brings to me out President. He has voiced that he has similar feelings about this case as do many black American. He has explained what and how he(we) feel the way we do. "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon", "I was Trayvon 35 years ago". Being that he understands, I don't envy his dance. Zimmerman was found not guilty by a jury of his peers. Implying that any of the jurors would have done the same if in the shoes of Zimmerman.  The president the most powerful man on the planet, is powerless in the matter. I can only imagine how he feels about that. At the same time, he can't voice the flaws in the system that he is the head of. He can't voice that those jurors were wrong. He can't voice that he is impotent in the face of racism.

What is any black man to do... If the most powerful black man on the planet, can't do a thing about it. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home